Monday, January 14, 2008

Web 2.0 - Final Thoughts

"What makes a service Library 2.0? Any service, physical or virtual, that successfully reaches users, is evaluated frequently, and makes use of customer input is a Library 2.0 service"
[Library 2.0 Service for the next-generation library
By Michael E. Casey and Laura C. Savastinuk -- Library Journal, 9/1/2006]

My use of the Library website (up until I started working there!) was limited to going there because I wanted to search the catalogue or check my account. If there was something interesting on the initial home page I might have clicked and had a look. I did not go to the site for any other reason. Actually, to tell the truth, up until doing this training course, I don't think my use of the site had broadened at all other than perusing the blogs on occasion. So my question is - What are our website usage stats? If we take the time to implement all these web 2.0 technologies, will they be used?? For me - the blogs are interesting and by using the rss feeds I know when there is a new one, the pics are cool and I will now make use of this at home, for the rest; such as myspace and del.ici.ous, lets face it I may have no need to look at these sites again. For the library - I've mentioned in my other posts of ideas for the different technologies and how they could be used, should we? Most of these technologies are all about patron participation and while that is great and I think it should be encouraged, as I said above what is our site usage?? Its not going to be used if people don't know it is there and why would they look? If I was a teen on myspace I wouldn't be looking for the library's site - Boring!, and its not about making it cool either, I don't particularly think it is necessary (and hey, that's just my opinion!) Blogs - yes, about happenings in the library, our services, activities, storytime etc. And feeds for these to our patrons can bring then to the site - advertise it, put a feed link on patron account pages and direct them to it while they are checking their record. Show them how to get feeds on local news/weather/local happenings. Pictures - great, makes the site look interesting, pics of our books, pics from inside books to highlight items and get our collection used. Community pics. Tags - great, if we can get the participation! favourite lists, new releases by genre/author, award winner lists, most recent searches, individual school projects' subject tags, hsc tags, popular items, highlight staff discoveries from under the dust - create interest in items that haven't been widely used, reviews, discussions, we have book clubs but are these staff propelled or patron? - there could be a scifi fantasy book group just waiting to be given birth to, (my apologies to the scifi and fantasy lovers that don't like to be grouped together!)lists of 'if you liked this you'll like this' are great but when its by author it can be tricky because they don't always write within the genre they are most popular for - so a review there by patron and/or staff is good. Podcasts/Vodcasts - maybe a quick intro grab from an audio/video item would be good with a review - 'try before you buy!'
The technology that Amazon uses for searching inside books was another technology that I found interesting, also the 'writely' technology would be worth looking at and making computer users aware of - nothing more annoying than using one program at home,trying to do some work at the library and not having the same program!

The quote at the beginning of my post says it all "successfully reaches users" and "makes use of customer input" this is what we should be aiming for but also taking into account feasibility. How about a computer/s in a focal point of the library with a trial site incorporating these technologies and showing patrons how they work and seeing the interest. If all goes well having a couple of these computers for use within the library. At least trial tagging and reviews and see what kind of usage we get.

I have really enjoyed working through the training program and have learnt a lot,(I will no longer have a blank look on my face when someone mentions any of these things!) Its obvious that libraries have to change the way they do things but I don't think we need to rush in and try everything straight away, having said that, I am definitely moving towards the right on the Web 2.0 spectrum.

No comments: